Sunday, January 5, 2014

Getting ready for the Next Challenge

I have, with great trepidation, signed up and paid for a conference in NYC for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.  I want to see what that world is like, I know I'll be overwhelmed with the talent that is out there, but I want to see it all. Plus it's a chance to go to NYC for a few days, see some old friends and have an egg-cream if nothing else.

But, part of what I am doing involves have a critique of my (non-existant) portfolio.   I don't think cobbling together little sketches will make for a great portfolio.  So I am trying to beef it up (past two pages!) and have something that can be meaningfully critiqued.

To that end, I am working on one or two sketches for a few stories.    I'm starting with Peter and the Wolf.  I always loved that story and music, the first time I heard it was at the Children's Symphony at the Brooklyn Academy of Music conducted by none other than Leonard Bernstein.   And he explained to so beautifully to the kids, I just adored it and him.  So I decided to start there.

I'll add some Water Lily Girl pics, and "Dad and his Pizza" and some other stuff.  I don't know what to expect, so I'll just bring what I can.

Pencil sketches below.  I plan to show the sketches and some finished work from each series. (oohh, I just noticed how small the head is in the first shot, gotta go work on that)

(I really think I need a new scanner ) 

If anyone has any experience with this type of conference or critique  - let me know! 

Thanks for stopping by and Happy New Year to all!!!


Cris, Oregon Artist said...

What fun this will be. Love the kitty and the bird sketch. When is all this going to take place?

Robin said...

Brava Mim! I think attending this conference will give you the courage to go forward! Your Art IS different and will ultimately stand out and say *Publish Me*!


♥ Robin ♥

Amanda said...

Good for you, Mim. I was considering going to this conference but it probably won't work out for my schedule. I have heard that it's good to practice your elevator pitch if you plan to meet with agents and/or editors about your work - sounds like a sort of speed dating session where you go from person to person pitching your work and they give you 3-5 minutes per person.

Either way, good luck and will look forward to hearing how it goes!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think Ms Em should be in your portfolio. She is the best. She deserves a book of her own. I am sure she could deal with children as well as adults.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

P.S. Good luck at the conference. I hope you get lots of inspiration and advise.

A good way to start the year. Happy New Year to you too.

kj said...

When is this? Can we break bread before you go to ny and I go to Florida?

Plus, I heard Emily rabbit wants to talk to you


Teri Casper said...

It will be a great experience. I agree with em should be a part of your portfolio.
Best of luck.

soulbrush said...

No experience, all I know is that you are going to be amazed- not only at the talent out there- but the talent you yourself have too. If they saw your Chanukah drawings, they would all faint! Have a wonderful time, can't wait to hear all about it. xx